Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Oatmeal Cookies



Well folks, we are freezing here in Ohio! This type of cold weather leads to grabby behavior and slightly rude spontaneous outbursts of opinions. But, then I bake oatmeal cookies and the world is a better place. A perfect oatmeal cookie should be slightly crunchy around the edges and have a chewy cake like center. At least, this is the perfect cookie that I'm looking for. Just my opinion.

Years ago I baked oatmeal cookies from a recipe that I adored. I'm not sure what has changed in my baking of said recipe but they're not the same. I ask myself, "Did I use margarine back then because butter was too expensive?". "Is my gas oven that much different than my electric oven?" So, myself has decided to go in search of a new oatmeal cookie recipe.

This recipe is pretty darned good. Using shiny pans lined with parchment paper is better than dark colored pans lined with parchment paper. The recipe did mention this and so for comparison sake, I tried both types of baking sheets.

Oatmeal Cookies

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 large egg
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper. (I use parchment and rarely bake without using it)
Beat together the butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and vinegar until nicely mixed together.
Beat in the egg until smooth. Add the flour and soda and beat well. Stir in the oats.
Drop the dough in 1 1/4 inch balls. About 2 tablespoons each. The cookies spread so leave a good space between them.
Bake about 12 minutes or until the edges show a little pale brown. Remove from oven and cool on the pan. This made 20 cookies.

I found the basic version of this recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. The changes I made were...  drastically reduce the spices used, and omit the raisins. I prefer the flavor of the oats. I like a good oatey oatmeal cookie. In fact, next time I might omit the cinnamon all together. I'm not sure how well these cookies keep because at my house 20 cookies only lasted about an hour.

I am still on the search for the Perfect oatmeal cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment