Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Grandma Ruth's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

This is the first cake I ever baked from scratch when I was about 9 years old. I was lucky enough to have a grandmother who was very "colorful" and shared many life adventures and insight with me. Memories are preserved in recipes boxes and scrapbooks! At some point the plan is to combine the best of both worlds and create a scrapbook of recipes!

Grandma Ruth's Pineapple Upside Down Cake
3 Tbl. margarine
1 cup brown sugar
8 slices pineapple (reserve juice)
reserved pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 Tbl. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in bottom of a cast iron heavy skillet, add sugar and spread mixture covering bottom. Place well drained pineapple slices on top of brown sugar mixture. Mix dry ingredients together. In another bowl cream shortening and sugar. Mix together wet ingredients, evaporated milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and wet ingredients to sugar and butter, beat 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat for two more minutes. Spread this mixture over pineapples and bake for 55-60 minutes. Cool for a few minutes in pan and then turn out onto serving platter.

I have never made this in a regular pan, only cast iron. My Grandma made this with cast iron and so I follow her recipe. Please let me know how it turns out if you use a different baking pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment