Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Memorial Day 2010
When our hearts are lost in grief, the first year after the death of a loved one, it's hard to imagine life ever being okay again. Yet, this Memorial Day as I remember my beloved brother Tim who died in 2003 I am filled with a flood gate of happy memories. The raw skinned heart feeling has healed.

Tim was a sailor. I heard so many great stories from his Navy days. He was my older brother. As with most siblings, we had grown apart during different time periods of our adult life. I am very fortunate to know that during the last ten years of his life we were connected and enjoyed each others friendship on a regular basis. Tim was my friend. He was Uncle Tim. The smell of his pipe and the Captain Black tobacco will forever be an endearing scent for my children and myself.

For several years during the holidays he would request that I make my Broccoli Cheese Soup. My recipe card reads "Uncle Tim's Favorite Soup" and it will forever be named that. It's nothing fancy. A foodie with a more fabulous palate may poo poo at the thought of using Velveeta Cheese and bouillon cubes. Tim didn't. He loved it!

I think if you whip up a batch, you will like it too! It's quick and easy to make.

Uncle Tim's Favorite Soup

3/4 cup finely diced onion
3/4 cup butter
6 cups water
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1 (8oz.) pkg thin noodles
2 (10 0z.) pkgs frozen broccoli fully cooked  I like Birdseyes brand.
1/4 tsp.garlic powder     PLEASE not garlic salt
6 cups milk
1 lb. Velveeta brand cheese cubed
pepper to taste

In a large dutch oven saute onions in butter until tender. Add water and cubes, bring to a boil. Gradually add noodles and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in broccoli, add garlic powder, and cook for 4 minutes. Reduce heat, stir in cheese until melted then add the milk. Season with pepper and heat through without boiling.

From start to finish this takes less than 15 minutes to make. A huge pot of delicious soup for a crowd with very little time or effort.

Tim liked Club crackers in his.

No comments:

Post a Comment