Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Corn Chowder

Ohio is corn country. We either grow our own in the yard, (if the deer do not eat it first) or we buy at local farmers markets. I suppose frozen corn would work for this recipe. Canned corn just kind of gives me the creeps so I can't recommend using canned corn.

Corn Chowder
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup seeded and finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup minced red onions
2 tsp. curry powder
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1 lb. red potatoes cut into 1/4" cubes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp, fresh ground black pepper
3 cups of whole milk

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and red onions, cook until tender. Add curry and cook for just a few seconds until the aroma releases. Add corn, potatoes, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender. Transfer 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture to a blender, add the milk and puree until almost smooth. Add this back to the saucepan with remaining soup and heat through.

This recipe makes 6 cups of chowder. I usually double it!

Corn from the garden! Yes.....Finally!
I have patiently waited for the silk of the corn to prove it's readiness. Last year in my excitement I rushed the crop and picked many ears too soon. Patience Grasshopper!!

I strolled to the garden this evening with anticipation. As I peeled back the husk just slightly enough to peek inside I found full golden kernels. My restraint paid off. One by one I pulled the ears from the stalk. A total of 31 ears came into the kitchen.

Of course, dinner was over ( The BLT's ruled). But nonetheless we had to have the fresh corn brought straight to the table from the garden. We chowed on 8 ears and the remaining corn was blanched, cut from the cob and frozen. I would highly recommend purchasing Lee's Corn Cutter that can be found at Ace Hardware.
I don't usually do product endorsements but this instrument made easy work of freezing the corn. The job was completed in under 1/2 an hour. In years past I used a very sharp knife and a cutting board to remove the kernels. Not the safest or most efficient way to get the task done. So, I upgraded this year to what appears to be a simple little gadget but, this corn cutter is ingenious.

Bacon rules... Nothing in my opinions beats a slice of toast with mayo then topped with peppered bacon, crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes from the garden seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper! Screw cholesterol levels... the joy of eating this delight is well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment