Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Seven Layer Salad

. I have culinary goals. I call those goals a"dish wish list". This list is an extensive group of recipes that someday will grace the plates of my home. More often than not I prepare "beat the hunger" dishes. The women in my family compiled a recipe book that featured various eats from family reunions over the years. This recipe collection has a lot of those fill your belly type of recipes. Most of these women have cooked for large families and know how to stretch a dollar and still make great tasting food. My aunt provided a recipe for Seven Layer Salad. Her recipe sounds good and I think I remember eating it as a kid. This is my version of that recipe. I hope my aunt forgives me for tinkering with hers. I like my version and it seems to be popular in our house!

Seven Layer Salad
One head of iceberg lettuce chopped
16 oz. of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups of frozen peas (thawed)
One medium onion finely chopped
12 hardboiled eggs peeled and coarsley chopped
1/2 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
Dressing recipe

In a large salad bowl layer the ingredient in order listed. Top with the dressing listed below. DO NOT mix. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Toss the salad just before serving.

Dressing

1 1/2 cups mayo (not the miracle kind)
3/4 cup of milk
6 Tablespoons sugar
9 Tablespoons vinegar

Mix well until creamy. This recipe is tasty used in cole slaw too.

No comments:

Post a Comment