Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Journey of Thanksgiving

Yes, I made turkey for Thanksgiving.

 A whopping 66 pounds of it! You read that number correctly. A 25 lb. and 16 lb. bird were made to share at a family get together on Saturday. The other 25 pounder was served at my home and the leftovers will be added to my freezer stash.

This afternoon was spent gently simmering all of the bones with onions (grown in the garden),celery, garlic, fresh parlsey and bay leaves. My kitchen was intoxicating with scrumptious aromas that yielded 12 quarts of delicious broth. Neatly lined (or should I say crammed) in my freezer this evening is a plethora of delicious soup base.

I bake our turkey in a roaster pan inside of the plastic oven bags. The presentation of a whole bird has long been a thing of the past. The meat is always carved and placed on a platter prior to serving. The oven bags make a delicious moist turkey, not a golden brown picture perfect bird.

The garden is quiet and we are still reaping the benefit of using the humble crops such as onions. I did not use any of the carrots in the soup stock with the turkey. I still have several bags frozen in the freezer from this past summers garden. I was just too greedy to part with them. You know what that tells me....Next year grow more carrots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment