Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Strawberries

If you've ever raised rabbits or grown strawberries you understand what I'm talking about when I say " Holy Moly look at all of 'em."
 Mister and I picked nearly 8 quarts of strawberries today from two rows of berries. Tomorrow will bring more of the same, judging by the almost ripe ones, I saw growing today.
My mind thinks of Forrest Gump and his conversation with Bubba about shrimp... I can make strawberry jam, strawberry bread, strawberry smoothies, strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie... For certain my oatmeal in the morning will have a helping of fresh berrries in it.

We purchased Ever Bearing Strawberries last year at our favorite flea market. Having never grown strawberries before, a little light research was done. The articles stated that it was important to pick all of the blooms the first year. This helps increase crop yield the following years. Our bloom picking must have been performed well because our yield this year is outstanding. I really haven't put much effort into them. A garden purist would have a fit, if they saw my unmulched, weedy patch, of berries.



I have had three weekends in a row of road trips, I am exhausted. Each trip has been wonderful and I loved them. Now, I'm ready for a little veranda sitting and strawberry eating. So, me thinks this batch of berries will be going into freezer bags for winter use. Tomorrows batch will be used for something more glamorous.

The ever bearing variety means I could be picking berries until September!



No comments:

Post a Comment