Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Raised Biscuits


This recipe for Raised Biscuits will be added to my recipe box. I found it in The Complete Book of Canning from Ortho Books. Never did I expect when I opened this soft cover magazine type book, that I would be making biscuits. It's a great guide for canning. Step by Step. The copyright is 1982 so my guess is, you could find a copy at the library or in a used book store.
Hudson Cream Flour is my all time favorite flour for making biscuits. The recipe on the back of the flour bag has been my "go to" for years. I plan to continue using that recipe for the mornings when the crew request sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast. The Raised Biscuits take a little more time and I am not a morning person. I can easily see me serving them with a hearty stew at dinner time.

Raised Biscuits

1 package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons of warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt ( I might decrease this just a smidge the next time)
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup buttermilk **

In a small bowl combine yeast, sugar, and water: let stand until bubbly, about 15 minutes.
In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cut butter into the flour to make a fine crumb.
Stir in yeast mixture and buttermilk to make a moderately stiff dough
knead dough lightly for a few seconds.
pat out to 1/2 inch thickness
cut dough with a 2 inch biscuit cutter
arrange biscuits on a lightly grease bake sheet, slightly touching one another, prick tops with a fork.
Let rise in a warm place until doubled in a warm place until doubled (30-40) minutes.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield 10 to 12
Bust out the butter and jelly!

** if you don't have buttermilk on hand and would like to make this recipe,
pour 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice into your one cup measuring cup, add milk to fill the cup. Let this stand for 5 minutes and you will have a nice substitute for buttermilk.
Remember this recipe only needs 2/3 of a cup of buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment