Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eggnog Cookies


A delicate, not too sweet, tender cookie. The flavor improves the second day, in my opinion this is a great make ahead cookie. Once baked, layer the cookies between sheets of wax paper and cover with plastic wrap.


Eggnog Spritz

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. rum extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 oz. white chocolate
2 tsp. shortening melted
additional fresh grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and rum extract until combined. Beat in flour. Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 inch open star tip. Pipe into 3 or 4 inch shapes. Spaced about 1 inch apart. Baked in preheated oven for 7to9 minutes or until edges are firm but not brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Melt shortening and white chocolate together until smooth. Drizzle cooled cookies with chocolate and sprinkle with additional nutmeg.

My change to this original recipe was simply to use fresh grated nutmeg. I will make these again. I will not however attempt to pipe them through a star tip. Now, there is a possibility that my hands are worn and tired and perhaps that's why I struggled to pipe the dough through the tip of the bag. Nonetheless, I found this step difficult. You try it and let me know how it works out for you.







2 comments:

  1. I can see a cookie press, but not the star tip of a pastry bag. I wonder if the recipe author had a brain fart like the time I posted a recipe calling for, "Double acting baking soda."

    If I get a minute to catch my breath this week, I might try these in the press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cookie press would have made light work of it. As I loaded the dough into the pastry bag, my instinct told me I should reconsider. BTW, your periodic table was very impressive!

    ReplyDelete