Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Deviled Egg Upgrade

This is my recipe and it works well for my needs. I am slowly creating  healthy upgrades for old unhealthy food choices. This alternative is low fat and has protein, a small amount of fiber with a whole lot flavor.
Deviled Egg Alternative


10 hard boiled egg whites only  (Discard the hard boiled yolks, or feed them to the dogs) 

2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
3 oz. deli turkey diced fine
1/2 fire roasted red pepper diced fine
1 celery rib finely diced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 green onion finely diced
1/4 cup finely diced raw cauliflower
finely chopped chives, around 2 tablespoons
salt and pepper to taste

While the eggs are boiling, mix the filling and place in the refrigerator until eggs are peeled and completely cooled. The longer it chills the better it is.

To make the filling. Try to dice everything as fine and uniform as possible. I enjoy the chopping part of this recipe. Sometimes just working with the food is almost as satisfying as actually eating it. Mix all of the ingredients together, except the eggs and chives.

Once everything is completely chilled you can start to fill your eggs. Garnish with chives.

I suppose someone is going to be shocked that the yolks are not utilized in another way. Really, I don't mind to toss them out. You can save them for some other use. For this recipe though, the use of yolks just seems too overpowering. I like the clean flavors without the yolk.

I had some filling left over. I rolled it up in a lettuce leaf and had a nice healthy snack.

If I can ever find a good reliable source for nutritional information, I will update this post with calorie info and the sort. As of right now, I think it's safe to say, this is a nice bite of healthy.

The use of the word upgrade is in no way intended to refer to the infamous Upgrade in the hilarious movie "Idiocracy.

And I quote "Carl's Jr. Computer: Enjoy your EXTRA BIG ASS FRIES! "

On a mission to ... not be a fatty fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment