This is what I did.
- Cook 1 cup of Pearl Barley according to package directions.
- Set the Barley aside to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive in a fry pan on medium to high heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of Grape Tomatoes swirling the pan gently to brown the skins lightly. Remove and set aside to cool. Set aside the fry pan too, you won't want to waste the delicious bits in the pan.
- Chop 1 tablespoon each of fresh Oregano and Sage.
- I put the cooled barley back into the cooled fry pan and stirred, to lift up the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan to coat the barley.
|Barley and yummy bits.|
- Whisk together the Juice and Zest of one Lemon with one tablespoon of Olive Oil and one Garlic clove smashed and finely minced.
- Dress the barley with the lemon dressing.
- Add 1/2 cup of Feta Cheese to the barley.
- Gently mix the herbs, cheese, and grape tomatoes into the barley.
- Add Pepper to taste.
- Serve cold.
This could very well be a main dish all on it's own but, we had a nice chunk of pan fried ham with it.
This is my take on Bob Green's recipe.