Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Cosmic Collision

Past, present and future collide sometimes.

 My oldest daughter Libby will be graduating college on or about the same week that I will be packing up our home of the past 5 years and moving. Most everything that can be packed is packed. Let's put it this way, I have emptied out drawers, closets, and cupboards. They are wiped clean, and empty of our stuff. Most of those items have made their way into a (carefully labeled) box. Looking at the piles of packed boxes and piles of hodge podge waiting to be packed, my home is straight out of a scene from the hoarder show.

 Among those packed boxes, is a scrapbook that I made for Libby's high school graduation. My intentions were to make this part of her college graduation celebration.Alas, I hope to be moved and unpacked before the party. If I scrounge around real hard, I might find one of her old volleyball photos. The graduation announcements are signed, sealed, and ready to mail.

For the first time in my history of Momdom, I will not be personally cooking the food for this celebration. We are having a gathering at a local banquet room. My job is to order the cake and show up. Hmm this could be a thing of my future. I like this idea. In the long run the buffet style meal prepared by the restaurant will cost less than if I were to prepare the food.

My youngest daughter Aimee is really on board with moving, despite the fact she will be switching schools. This kid is so organized and on top of things. She has checked out her new school online, printed the yearly school calendar, and has her school supply list highlighted and ready to go. Aimee started volleyball camp today. I couldn't help but think about all of those years ago when her oldest sister came home with skin knees from sliding on the court. (Stubborn refusal to wear knee pads) Then to further the flashback era...Aimee's camp coach, is low and behold, an old high school teacher of mine. How is this possible? Talk about a clash of past and present.

I have discovered that I'm superstitious. My big mouth can't wait to blab out the details of our move. Then, what if I blab, and something goes wrong. Will I jinx it? I'm sure as hell not taking that risk.

 We searched for  months on the internet for a house. Mister and I drove by tons of places that showed potential, judging by their descriptions online. We actually walked through dozens of homes. WOW. You haven't lived until you walk through a once gorgeous home that is now overtaken by thieves and drunkards. So many homes have just been abandoned, robbed of furnaces and hot water tanks. It's truly sad.

 This house, our new house, is much different from our original plans of what we thought we wanted.

 We learned a few things about ourselves during the search. Originally we were convinced that we had to have 3 acres of land. One thing I did not want was another split level home. I've seen many gorgeous split level homes. I just cannot deal with the multiple levels any longer. I want my washer and dryer on the same floor as my bedrooms, thank you very much. I'm done with hauling baskets of laundry up and down 3 flights of stairs. I really wanted a ranch home.

Moving to this house, the new house, has taken longer than usual due to a legal guardian situation with the sellers. It will be worth the wait. Once the house is ours, we have work ahead of us. Nothing major. A few minor repairs. I've said enough. Jinx be damned. It's a cool place, and I can't wait to share it with you.

In my spirit, I already live in the new house. This place feels like a part of my past. Presently though, I'm tunneling my way through boxes and piles. I'm cooking like a newlywed with only a few pots and pans. My old garden is dormant.
 Autumn should be great. Here's a hint, I will actually have trick or treaters coming to the door this year. Hooray for the future!
My dog Tucker keeps everything in perspective. He's good like that!




No comments:

Post a Comment