Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Peanut Butter Bars

In honor of school starting in most areas this week I am offering up for your taste buds a blast from my school days past.
I would buy school lunch on the days our cafeteria served the treasured Peanut Butter Bars even if the main dish was something gross.
The kind lunch ladies from my school submitted this recipe to a local paper about 30 years ago. My mom had the insight at that time to write the recipe down. To this day I still make this simple candy. Very similar to Buckeye Candy in flavor.

Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
** up to approx. 1/2 cup of melted butter

Cream together peanut butter and brown sugar. Stir in vanilla and butter until well blended. Add powdered sugar and stir until creamy. Press this mixture into a 9x13 pan.

In a double boiler melt chocolate and the amount of butter needed to create a pourable syrup. **The amount of butter in this step does seem to vary depending on humidity. Pour over peanut butter mixture and tilt pan to evenly spread the syrup mixture.

Chill at least 4 hours. Slice and serve with a big glass of milk!!

The trusty lunch ladies at my school did not have the aid of a microwave way back when. I do however... and I use it to melt the chocolate and butter together.

Such a simple little combination makes for the sugar rush of childhood!! Try this recipe and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. They turned out AMAZING! Just like the school's. Thanks for posting. Karla

    ReplyDelete