Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Homemade Noodles with Brown Butter

Homemade American-Style Noodles

3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons cold water

Beat the egg yolks and egg until they are light. Beat in the salt and 3 T. of cold water. Using your hands work the flour into this mixture to make a stiff dough. Cut into three equal parts. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for a few minutes. Dust a board of pastry clothes with flour and roll out one part of the dough as thin as possible. Cover with a dishcloth and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.Repeat with the other two pieces.

Sprinkle one sheet of dough very lightly with flour and roll up like a jelly roll. With a sharp knife, cut across the roll into 1/8 inch wide strips for fine noodels and 1/2 inch wide strips for broad noodles. Open out the strips and hang over a broomstick or chair back to dry. They will be ready to cook when they have lost their surface dampness. About 10 minutes should be enough.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and drop the noodles in. Boil vigorously until just tender- between 5 and ten minutes. depending on how thin you have succeeded in rolling them; fork out one and taste to determine doneness. This recipe makes about 1 pound noodles or enough to serve four. Noodles freeze well when placed uncooked in a plastic bag or container.

*** This noodle recipe is from an old cookbook of mine that I purchased at a Craft Show about a hundred years ago! Come Into My Kitchen/Favorite Recipes gathered by the Troyer's.

The only change I make when I use this recipe is the cutting/drying technique of the noodles. I do not jelly roll them. I just cut strips with a pizza cutter. I also do not hang them to dry. I just allow them to loosley lie on the counter to dry.

Browned Butter for the Noodles

I toss my noodles in Browned Butter before serving them! I recently learned this while eating in the kitchen of an Amish family. YES... I was actually lucky enough to sit in the home of a local Amish family kitchen and have dinner.

Browned Butter

Place half stick of (real) butter in a skillet with the heat on medium high. WATCH Closely and swirl the pan frequently until the bits of brown begins to form in the butter and it smells nutty!
Toss the noodles in this simple flavor extravaganza. I could not believe how great this simple technique makes noodles or mashed potatoes taste! Margarine will not work.


1 comment: