Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

German Chocolate Cake


I like realistic photos of food. Sometimes I will "stage" a photo if the mood hits me to do so. With this particular post the reality is... after the initial serving on plates, the rest of this cake disappeared a fork full at a time, right out of the pan.
How does the saying go? Not bad manners just good food....

So here is the low down on my German Chocolate Cake (from scratch).

First off, I do not own three 9" round cake pans. My 9"x13" may have worked. I like the end result ratio of cake to frosting after the whole project was completed in my 1/2 sheet cake pan. The cake baked very evenly and I found no problems with the oven temperature or bake time.

 I proposed the question to my cake eating audience...
Is the effort of making this cake and frosting from scratch vs. the box version worth it?
The overwhelming response was YES (disclaimer being that I be the one who made the extra effort)

The recipe was straight off the Baker's German Chocolate box. I didn't use my old stand-by recipe for Coconut Pecan Frosting and decided to use the recipe included on the Chocolate label.

Toast the pecans in a dry pan first!

Just give me a spoon and leave me alone!


Note...Dust the cake pan with cocoa powder instead of flour.


As for the recipes off the Chocolate wrapper I have to proclaim it was a success.
Consider picking up a bar of Bakers German Chocolate and check it out! Let me know what you think of your adventure. 
P.S. German Chocolate Cake is not an authentic German recipe.
The name comes from the Chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment