Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

This is my mother's recipe. She gave me a cookbook for Christmas that has a few of her favorite recipes in it. The ladies at her church published a book as a fundraiser. I have marked every recipe that she contributed to the printing.

My mom goes all out with everything she does. We use cloth napkins when we eat at her house. Her flower beds are exceptional and I swear her garage floor is cleaner than my kitchen floor. I am certain that my solid work ethic came from her.

 She sends me newspaper clippings, magazine recipes, and general all purpose knowledge readings. I look forward to sitting down and sorting through the piles each time she sends a stack home with me.

 Many of her recipes are fancy. I can honestly say, as I read through the cookbook she gave me, her recipes are my favorite.



Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
2 1/2 sticks of butter softened (1 1/4 cups)
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 eggs
3 cups cake flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan or a 10" tube pan. Beat sugar, margarine, and cram cheese in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in lemon juice, vanilla, lemon extract, orange extract and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour, beat until smooth. Spread into the chosen pan. Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan, and cool completely.

The recipe for the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1tablespoon softened butter
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
2-3 tablespoon lemon juice

I'm lucky to have the type of mother who taught me to appreciate simple things in life, and still know how to enjoy the finer things as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment