Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Grits

Grits might not be an unusual food item to you. I grew up in a southern family and we never ate grits as a kid. I know grits are suppose to be served on every southerners table, but not ours. I had never eaten or cooked grits before this week. I never really noticed them in the stores either.
I found a bag of grits for .99  and decided, why not.

I'm not sure if it was Mel's Diner influence and hearing the nasally Flo bark back "Kiss my grits" to the greasy spoon cook or just random internet searches. Somehow, my mind settled on making Paula Deen's Baked Garlic Cheese Grits.



I will be making grits again but, not using that recipe though. The grits were good, really good. Writing a recipe and specifying 16 ounces of cheese rather than coming right out and saying 1 whole pound of cheese is clever editing. The grits would probably be just as good if half the cheese and butter were used. That's sort of Paula Deen's style, I think.


Have a slow Saturday and enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment