Mister brought home peaches.
The peaches were a great excuse for Mister to break out the man kitchen gadget which he loves so much. Mister bonded with the Norpro Sauce Master (not a paid endorsement) last year during the salsa making season.
The peaches were seconds. You know, the ones that aren't perfect but, look exactly like the perfect peaches. Slightly dented. Perfectly juicy and delicious. A bargain.
We used an instant pectin this year with our freezer jam. The results are acceptable. Of course, canned jam or jelly is always a superior product, if you ask me. Heat and time were working against me so, I took a short-cut. Shhh, don't tell the jam snobs.
Here are the steps we took.
- Cut the peaches away from the pit.
- Place the chunks in the bowl of the extruder and crank away.
- Measure 4 cups of juice into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together INSTANT sure-gel with one and a half cups of sugar. (splenda worked great too)
- Stir the sugar mixture into the juice and stir for 3 minutes.
- Pour into jars, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pop the jars the deep freeze.
No cooking, no heat!
|The Norpro wonder machine aka sauce master.|
No peeling, no cooking, just de-pit the peaches.
After making several batches of freezer jam (both sugar and sugar free) there remained 12 cups of juice and pulp. This remainder is now frozen solid and ready for winter use. Umm fresh peach smoothies.