Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Growing Celery

Summer Pascal is the variety of celery that I planted this year. This years crop is considered to be a success. Although, commercially grown celery is superior in overall apperance. I'm still proud of my humble crop.



This photo shows the massive root structure and, in the corner by my foot, is a second harvest plant still growing.



Regrowth from the root left behind. Second Harvest
Early in the season I read, if I harvested only the tops and left the roots behind, I could have a second harvest. Guess what? It worked. The above photo is of the second harvest crop which is still in the ground. This is an experiment to determine how late in the season my celery will continue to grow. New stalks formed and grew after the initial cutting.





The first time around I cut the celery about an inch above the ground.
Nevermind those yellow leaves. I trim and remove them. Remember to save your crisp green celery leaves. The tops add a bright fresh taste to soups. Thanksgiving stuffing welcomes the alive taste of the celery leaves. I finely chop them as I would any herb and use them often.

Click    Here's my favorite stuffing to make.


I do not stuff my turkey on Thanksgiving. We make the stuffing muffins. I use the idea originally introduced to me by Rachel Ray. This is perfect for portioning to feed a crowd.
To make the stuffing muffins. Make your stuffing, then generously grease cupcake tins. Form stuffing into equal size portions and bake in the tins. Each guest has a nice moist serving of stuffing which includes the favored toasty part. 24 guests...24 stuffing muffins.
Alas, this turkey day I am only cooking a small gathering on Saturday. This will be a meal comprised of food we have grown and a turkey Mister bagged back in the spring. A good old fashioned pilgrim/indian meal.

A slower version of Thanksgiving this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment