Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crostini

The fireplace is back in full swing here at Columbia Creations. We don't have a wood burning stove, just an old fashioned open fireplace. It warms our family room and makes everything cozy. If time would allow, I could sit there for hours on end. Listening to Nora Jane Struthers and reading my cookbooks.

Recently, I found myself searching the stacks of books, lazily by the fire, hoping for unique appetizer recipes. What's so tough about putting some fruit, cheese and bread on a plate and calling it an appetizer? That's true. I have made basically the same small bits for years. On average, Mister and I entertain a group of 15-40 people 10 times a year. It's time to add a few new ideas into the rotation.

For Anna, I wanted a few new and interesting items on the buffet. She's my creative cooking child. (really they're always our children even if they are no longer a child) Finally, I picked this recipe. I mixed a few little things of my own into the base recipe. This can be made almost entirely the day before.




Bad photo good food.
Crostini

  • Buy TWO nice French Baguettes (or make your own)
  • 1 cup of mayo
  • 2 cup of shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
  • 1 can of rotel (well drained)
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • several generous turns of the pepper mill
  • butter
The night before the party, I sliced the baguettes into approximately 1/2" thick slices and rebagged them until I needed them the next day. Mix together the remaining ingredients, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Right before serving, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter the pre-sliced baguettes. Place them on a bake sheet and dollop the cheese mixture, dividing it evenly across the bread slices. Bake until bubbly and lightly golden. Around 8-10 minutes. I ended up with 48 pieces from my bread.

This could be a meal on a weeknight. Add a small salad and dinner is served. It's tastier than take out pizza.

Miss Anna made mini quiche with broccoli in phyllo cups. We also served the usual fruit and fruit dip and ole stand by items. It was nice to mix in a few new things too!

Tomorrow is Monday. I might play hookie. Build a fire, put on my head phones and search a few vintage cookbooks for a rainy Monday hiatus!








No comments:

Post a Comment