Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Maple Coffee Cake

We work hard, here at Columbia Creations. Today was no exception. Today, I had my helper working with me.

On any given day, my books and what nots, are randomly piled here and there. Having the freedom to pause my workday and bake a coffee cake is a nice perk of being self-employed. We can discuss the down sides of our work another time.

While Ash (my helper) and I were taking care of a few inside projects, I noticed an overlooked cookbook. I blew our pretend break whistle and preheated the oven. This coffee cake came together in minutes.
Pumpkin Maple Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring
2 eggs beaten
Topping
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring

  • Heat oven to 350 degrees, spray bottom only of a 9x9 bake pan with non-stick baking spray. In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together with a fork and set aside.
  •  In a large bowl, mix all of the cake ingredients until the dry is moistened.
  • Spread half of the cake batter in the pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over batter. Layer remaining batter over topping and repeat with another layer of topping.
  • Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I brewed a nice strong pot of coffee. Ash and I enjoyed a piece of cake, still warm and tasting of Autumn. And we whistled while we worked.

Jokingly, I tell Ash she is my personal assistant. Most days she is my brain, (and she's the blonde) some days she's my muscle. Today, I think she was a little bit of both. Fresh baked coffee cake is the least I could do!

Oh yeah, the cookbook is Holiday Baking from Pilsbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment