Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings.

Let's see, hmmm should I write the story about dumplings or list the recipe details first? I'm going with the recipe first. This is a basic guideline. All recipes are a basic guideline. Add peas, potatoes, mushrooms, or whatever makes this dish a hardy cold weather comfort for you. I believe dumplings are meant to be that, just simple homestyle comfort.



Piping hot delicious meal.

Chicken and Dumplings

2 cups diced cooked chicken
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons  flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp. salt
1 cup carrots chopped cooked
1 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons chopped onion
herbs and seasoning to your liking
fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a dutch oven and blend in the salt and flour. Add milk and chicken stock. Cook on low until smooth and thick. (I used the cooking liquid from the carrots too) Add cooked chicken, onions, and cooked carrots, and stir to heat through. Make dumplings and add to this chicken mixture.

Dumplings

1 cup sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tablespoons of melted shortening
1/2 cup milk
fresh herbs if you want

Combine the dry ingredients and stir in milk and melted shortening just enough to moisten everything well. Drop by scant teaspoons all over the chicken mixture. Cover tightly with a lid and cook for 15 minutes on medium to low heat. DO NOT open the lid during that 15 minutes...Just let the dumplings alone and your reward will be tender fluffy dumplings.

Okay now the story part.

 My mom made dumplings when I was a kid. Not often. I don't recall loving them. I've been told, my paternal Grandmother made exceptional dumplings. I never tasted them.

I suppose dumplings are a thing of the past in our luxurious culinary world.

 Recently, Mister and I were having lunch at an establishment which has been doing business since the late 1800's. To my surprise Chicken and Dumplings were offered as a daily special. Their offering included peas. It was good.

Much like the basic dumpling recipe offered above, the bland flavor could have used some zip added to it. The plain Jane taste does ring of tradition and childhood though. The additions of seasoning to your liking makes the dish your own... don't you think?

This weekend I'm making a sweet variety of dumplings.

Everyone chowed my dinner of Chicken and Dumplings.










No comments:

Post a Comment