Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Double Fudge Squares via 1969

Recipe resources are plentiful. But, when was the last time you saw Mrs. Beasley...huh? Good Housekeeping's Family Christmas Book 1969 is among my recipe resources this holiday season. I knew something would be cooked, baked or crafted from this 1969 magazine from the first minute I saw it.This wonderful gem, was among a group of magazines I purchased at an auction this year. Finding the advertisement for Mrs. Beasley on the inside front cover was a bonus.

Mrs. Beasley for certain would have been on my list to Santa that year. I must have been naughty because I never owned one. I had the paper doll version. According to the magazine the 22" doll said 10 different things and carried the price tag of $9.95. Really... minimum wage was $1.30 an hour in 1969. Although my Dad probably made more than minimum wage that year, I'm certain this doll would have been way out of our Family Christmas budget.
Sitting and reading through this old magazine was nostalgic and hilarious. There are several recipes I want to try. First up, was this Double Fudge Squares recipe. I am not listing the nuts in the ingredient list below, because, I didn't use them and cannot vouche for the recipes integrity with them added. Aside from this minor adjustment, I rolled with the recipe as written.
LOOK shiny objects...can I distract you from the fudge recipe for a few minutes? The updo hairstyles from 1969 are such classics.


Fa la la la la




Double Fudge Squares

2 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup evaporated milk
16 large marshmallow
1/2 cup chocolate chips (set aside in a medium bowl)
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan and set aside. In a heavy bottom saucepan add sugar, butter, salt, evaporated milk and marshmallows. Set over medium heat and stir constantly until mixture boils and is bubbly all over. Cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
Pour half of the cooked mixture over the chocolate chips and stir quickly to melt chips. Spoon into the prepared pan and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add butterscotch chips to the remaining cooked ingredients. Stir until the chips have melted. Set at room temperature for 10 minutes. Spoon and smooth the butterscotch layer over the chocolate layer, pressing down hard to mesh the two layers together.
Refrigerate until firm and cut into 32 squares.
A few words about the fudge. I'm not a huge butterscotch fan, but Mister is. (someday I have to tell you why I call him Mister, it goes back to our dating years) I might try this recipe again using peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate and vice versa. The layers sort of came apart when I cut the fudge. No worries, with a little squishing I was able to form them back into a nice layered look. I liked the texture. The flavor is good. Actually it was fairly simple to make. I would highly recommend wearing an oven mit over your stirring hand while cooking the mixture. It's a little volatile. Use your timer, and stir the entire time specified. This might be my new quick and easy fudge recipe.
What do you think about these neat little crafts photographed below? 1969 tabletop trees in their finest.

Let me leave you with this photo.

Camera gifts sure to please. What's on your wishlist?



Click on the labels below to read more like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment