Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Honey Cake

Honey Cake is a tradition in some homes during the period of holidays. For our family, the idea of Honey Cake came about with the gift of honey, given to us by our son Josh. Of course, we use the honey on biscuits, toasts and in other recipes. What I wanted in a recipe was for the honey to be the main focus. I found this recipe at the Jewish Daily Forward reading spot. It seems this recipe isn't exactly the traditional version. This wasn't an issue for me since I wasn't honoring a family tradition.
My readings about this cake has taught me, this cake keeps very well, for a long period of time. Ours didn't make it past the 12 hour mark. It's that good!

A Honey Cake Worth Baking
Adapted from "A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking"

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm coffee
3/4 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cups sliced toasted almond (optional) I didn't use them
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and evenly grease a Bundt pan with butter, vegetable oil or cooking spray. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
  2. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, both sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice and zest. Using a whisk or an electric mixer set to low speed, combine the ingredients to make a stiff batter. (My batter was not stiff at all so read this and take from it what you want)
  3. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Place the pan on a baking sheet, and bake until the cake springs bake when you touch it in the center, about 1 hour. (mine didn't take this long at all, start checking sooner than 45 minutes) Be careful not to overbake. Let cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then invert onto a wire rack to cool before slicing. Serve topped with almond and dusted with powdered sugar, if desired.
My note: I used a non-stick spray to grease the bundt pan and my cake stuck....hence the general use of powder sugar on my cake. I will use butter or oil next time. Of course, my spray was a cheap store brand type.
I will make this cake again, with the plans of also trying a traditional version of the cake too.





  • No comments:

    Post a Comment