Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Apple Cake

Make this cake. Then share it with friends. We only have one wafer thin piece left sitting on the counter waiting for me to have with coffee in the morning. That is, if Mister doesn't beat me to it. He's a 5:30 AM kinda guy. I'm a hit the snooze a few times kinda gal. When I roll out of bed there better be at least a bite left for me.

Lakewood Apple Cake to be exact. This is my first real baked good turned out of the kitchen since our move. I baked boxed brownies, but that's not real brownies. Today, I measured and mixed and greased and baked a real cake. Oh, how I love the cooler weather and my "jakey" little kitchen. For real, the new kitchen is rough. I love it! Every broken cupboard hinge, weird layout and make shift counter, jakey inch of it, I love.
Back to the cake. Make it, and eat it! You'll be glad.

Lakewood Apple Cake
credit goes to some random ancient newspaper clipping found in cookbook from a garage sale


  • 2 cups enriched unsifted all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of iodized salt (not sure why the recipe specifies this but I follow directions)
  • 1 1/4 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 lightly beaten eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups peeled diced apples Jonathan, Golden Delicious, Winesap, McIntosh, Wealthy, or Melrose
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients. Add apples and nuts. Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from the pan. Cool in pan and cut into squares.



Okay, I don't always follow directions. I didn't peel or dice my apples. I popped the apple corer/slicer thing on top of the apple, gave it a whack and ended up with nice little pretty sections of apples. I left them, just like that, and the result was darned good. I toasted some slivered almonds in a dry pan to add to the batter. They added a nice crunch. I really don't know what type of apple I used. Mister brought them home for me. I'm not an apple expert. As long as they aren't mealy in texture then I like them. These were great. Also, I just stirred everything by hand.

What a great way to say I love you to your family. Bake them an Apple Cake on Sunday!






4 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe! I am from Ohio and in the 70's I made this all the time for my family When we moved the recipe did not follow--so thank you. You have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found it once again. It's a keeper. That reminds me, I might be making this tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this an Ohio original? I grew up in Northeast Ohio and ate a lot of it in the 70s. Still have the recipe in my mom's handwriting:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is an Ohio original recipe. Published in a local newspaper years ago. Perfect use for the abundance of apples during the Ohio fall weather.

    ReplyDelete