Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chocolate Frosting

I buy Hershey's cocoa powder for baking and cooking. I've never used or eaten any other cocoa powder based products, that I'm aware of. My readings have informed that by chance the Hershey product is inferior to imported products. I couldn't tell you if the other brands are better because I'm brand loyal. I like my Hershey cocoa powder just fine.
My daughter celebrated a tween birthday and we made owl cupcakes. The cake portion is from a boxed mix. The frosting we made from scratch. You can find the recipe on the back of a Hershey can of cocoa powder. Or, read it here.
Personally, this chick L.O.V.E"s. this frosting. It's easy to make. I can accept the use of a store bought cake mix. But, frosting from a can has lost it's charm for me.
The birthday girl wanted a 3 tier birthday cake. Geez, kids these days. I wussed out and went for the cupcakes. She's really wise for her age (wise ass) so we made owl cupcakes. I ripped off the idea straight from the Internet.
Words of warning, if you chose to recreate this sugared coma delight, beware of the cookie part. The chocolate cookies do not separate consistently, or as easy as one might think. It was a good thing we had extra cookies on hand. For every cookie that separated perfectly (used for the owl eyes) we had two which did not. The broken cookie scraps are in the freezer waiting to be turned into a cookie crumb pie crust one of these days.



Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
paraphrased by me... supplied by them

1/2 cup melted butter
2/3 cup of Hershey's cocoa
3 cups of powdered sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

I melted the butter in the microwave, stirred in the cocoa powder. Add the butter/chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl. Alternate adding the powdered sugar and milk, and beat until you like the spreading consistency. Add milk a little at a time. Stir in vanilla. Yields 2 cups of frosting.

Please, if you knew my sweet, kind, humorous daughter you would know the reference to her wise assness is a complete term of endearment. Stop looking at me Swan!              

No comments:

Post a Comment