Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese Pudding

The Cleveland Press Olde Time Recipes cookbook rears its head once again. I've placed many blue scraps of paper between the pages marking recipes I still want to try. Of all of my cookbooks old and new, The Cleveland Press Old Time Recipes by Barbara Bratel is my favorite. I love the Joe Frogger recipe, the Ohio Lemon Pie, and I'm equally pleased with this recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Pudding.

I used bow tie pasta, that's what was on the shelf. Also, I used a great variety of cheese hunks that were just "lion" (Scar) around from a party this past weekend. We are eating the ever popular, grass fed, ground chuck patties, served on a plate sans bun, along side the macaroni dish. Yes, complete with a juicy chunk of tomato.



Macaroni and Cheese Pudding
a nice casserole, not runny and gooey, solid and sturdy

2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups whole milk
3 eggs beaten together
1 tsp. salt ( I used less, some of my cheeses were on the salty side)
Pepper to taste
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese or half New York State and half cheddar
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs ( I used whole wheat bread crumbs, I like the flavor better)

Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain well. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in large sauce pan. Add flour and stir until smooth and cook a few minutes.

Add the milk a little at a time and cook until bubbly. Quickly stir in beaten eggs, so as not to make scrambled eggs (or temper them). Stir in salt and pepper.

Arrange alternate layers of cheese (reserving some of the cheese for the top)  and pasta into a well buttered 9x13 casserole dish. Pour hot milk mixture over the top of the cheese and pasta. Dot with butter, sprinkle with cheese, top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment