Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Monticello

Awhile back, photographs of the garden at Monticello (home of the great President Thomas Jefferson) were fresh in my mind and I shared a few of them with you. With the arrival of the new year, I have been editing photographs, getting them ready for a yearly photo album. Still today after many months, the photographs of my last visit to Monticello are as enchanting and calming as the day they were taken. There truly is a sense of calm to be found in a garden.
Sea Kale at Monticello.


The clay pots are for blanching the plant. The plant can be grown under the pots to create a lighter colored, tender plant. I have never eaten sea kale. I understand that it tastes similar to asparagus. Thomas Jefferson made this vegetable popular during his time on earth.
I think this plant would make a beautiful border to the garden.


Beet Chioggia intrigue me. Look how stunning this vegetable looks in the garden. I learned that the leafy tops of the beets can be eaten like spinach. I didn't know that. I have cooked the green carrot tops to make tea but never beet greens. The seeds can be purchased here. I might just do that.
Each year, I try to plant something new and interesting in our garden. If the beets were good enough for Thomas Jefferson then they are good enough for me. But, then again I don't have a 1,000 foot space for my garden and my selections need to be a little more humble.

It's January and I am dreaming of the garden. Maybe it's an early case of cabin fever but, I think it's merely a great diversion to the torture of drama related to our recent house remodel project.
Just think of what you might be planting this year. Leave me a comment and let me know. I would love to hear your green thumb plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment