Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

How to bring solitude to your life

Commonly, the weekends are busier than the weekdays around here. Once upon a time, my ambition was to spend Saturday afternoons in the kitchen cooking long slow pots of stews, soups, or sauces. From time to time this still happens. With only three of us living at home now, it's more realistic to order dinner in or just dine on a simple meal.
This new lifestyle holds a few charms. After a short trip to Hobby Lobby to retrieve acrylic paints and a short trip to a local ceramic shop, my long weekend formed. I spend almost every waking hour held up in the basement blissfully painting visions of sugar plums. What great joy! I stumbled up the stairs a few times to do a household chore here and there. I even cooked a somewhat proper Sunday morning breakfast. Aside from miniscule duties, my weekend was spent in solitude. Charming indeed.
As Monday morning approaches, I'm considering the wonderful grocery list that will be compiled for the annual feast of Thanks. I'm thankful everyday. Supposedly the entire country pauses for a minute to reflect upon the things that matter. What matters to you? What makes your life filled with charming moments. What brings solitude into your day?

What matters to me?

  • Growth of myself as a person, in a way that brings goodness to those around me.
  • Tolerance, being surrounded by people who are tolerant of others religion, race, lifestyle.
  • Order, never placing the horse before the cart.

It stands to reason that I will be making the exact same holiday food this year as in the past 30 years. It's a meal served once a year (usually) so we've come to expect a certain amount of sameness. Should I veer off the beaten path and throw in a zinger, I will share the recipe here with you!

Kick off your season with the ones who bring joy to your life. Set aside the people who predictably create strife in your days. Search for the folly, the jolly, and the simple silence of life.
Everything else is just horse shit anyways!

Take a good hard look at your family tree and don't be afraid to identify the broken branches!






No comments:

Post a Comment