Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pinto Beans

Look what's popped up!


Pinto Beans have bolted from their seed coat. The thin outer layer shreds off the bean as it sprouts. I can see the coats laying on top of the soil in our pinto bean bed.

We've had some hard pounding rains the last few days. The rains have washed out some of the beans. There they lay all swollen and looking as if a sprout might form. I'm going to leave those beans laying on the surface of the soil to see what happens. I'd like to know if the root structure will be visible when/if the bean should decide to sprout above ground. Don't worry I planted three short rows of beans and the harvest will be plentiful even if a few of the beans are sacrificed due to my evil gardener experiments muwahaha...

Most of the beans, once harvested will be dried and left in the pantry for winter use. In a few short months I should have around 5 lb's of pintos drying and in storage.

My favorite way to prepare pinto beans is a good old fashioned bean soup with ham hocks and carrots (carrots growing in the garden too). A pot of bean soup would never be complete without a cast iron skillet full of cornbread. Yes, that's my favorite way to consume these lovely legumes.

Our second favorite use of pintos is just plain ole' simple refried beans. It's not too late. Pick up a handful of pinto beans and get them growing. The seed for this crop is a second generation from our last batch of beans grown in 2011. You can read about that harvest here. I cannot believe that 3 years have passed since our last planting of these delicious morsels. It's about time I got back out in the dirt.


Planting The Beans
I always soak my beans in water for a few days before planting them. Loosen your soil, make a small impression with your finger about an inch deep and drop the bean down. Cover loosely with soil and wait patiently for about 8 or 9 days and then you'll return to find something of beauty.
This humble little crop will keep me entertained for months.




Grow some beans, it will be great for your soul.
Musical Fruit...

No comments:

Post a Comment