Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Tahini Paste

Tahini Paste

1 package (16 oz) brown sesame seeds
3/4 cup of olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour the entire bag of seeds on a dry cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stirring often to make sure they don't burn. Cool the seeds for at least 20 minutes. Once again this is where a food processor would come in handy. Blend up those toasted seeds and slowly drizzle in the olive oil creating a wonderful nutty butter. Makes about 2 cups. Refrigerate and this will keep for about a week.

Super easy to make. I've found that my homemade hummus is all the more rewarding with the addition of homemade tahini. Give this a try!

Just in case you missed it, here's where you can check out my adventures of growing sesame seeds in my backyard. This little crop was one of the most rewarding things I've ever planted.


3 comments:

  1. That's a good way to do it. I toast seeds in a frying pan, but a baking sheet sounds better.

    I've never added oil to my tahini-just a few drops of water to get it to puree. That's a good idea-I'll bet it gives it a nice rich flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Goody,
      Yes, I use a dry frying pan too with the exception of this recipe. Mostly because of the amount of seeds involved. So you never add oil huh? Interesting. The oil adds flavor but also fat. I'm going to try it your way next time and see the difference.

      Delete
  2. It will be...fluffier. Lighter I guess than a smooth pourable paste. Sometimes I don't even bother toasting the seeds and just grind them as-is for a lighter flavour to mix with yoghurt. I guess it depends what you're doing with it.

    ReplyDelete