Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Quinoa

My quinoa seeds arrived from Baker Heirloom Seeds, along with a few other interesting items. The package describes the crop as both edible and ornamental. I'm growing quinoa for the edible side of things. The garden will surely take on a new appearance with what promises to be a beautiful plant as it grows. Double benefit.

 We had a pretty steady rainfall after I planted the tiny seeds. I'm hoping it wasn't enough to wash the seeds away. If the plants come up in a somewhat crooked row then I'm blaming the rain.



The seeds are small. Not as small as carrot seeds, still I planted
slowly to ensure that the seeds stayed in a somewhat tidy row.



On a personal note, one thing which gives this crop a whimsical playful notion is learning that quinoa is related to beets. I'm a huge fan of the television show The Office. Fans of the show know all too well about the antics of Dwight K. Schrute. The proud owner of Schrute's Beet Farm. Of course this fantastic show is no longer in production but, I watch it on Netflix. I never grow tired of the cast of characters. One liners from the show stick with me still to this day. So yeah, there's that tid bit of information. Fact!






The seeds from Bakers are non GMO which makes them near and dear to my heart. I'm not an expert on the subject. I just like plain, ordinary and simple things.

Growing quinoa is completely new to me. I hope you will share the adventure with me and read along as I post updates through out the summer. I equally hope if you are an expert on growing this crop that you will feel free to leave me a comment below and share helpful hints and tips. It's not my hope to grow enough quinoa to stock my pantry for the winter. If the crop is plentiful enough to prepare one nice dish for dinner then I will claim victory and call this new adventure a success.




No comments:

Post a Comment