Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Growing Fenugreek Leaves

As promised, here's an update on the progress and eventual digestion of the Fenugreek seeds I began growing just a few weeks ago. As you can see, the leaves have taken shape. I have since harvested a generous portion to add to Aloo Methi for my breakfast this morning.
I'm always on the look out for recipes that use my mustard oil and hing or as it's also known  asafoetida.




With a gentle tug the stems and leaves of this tender plant pulled freely from the soil. With a little shake to remove the soil from the roots, the fenugreek leaves were ready for a good washing.
Once clean. I chopped the leaves as if I would any herb.

This is just a basic recipe for Aloo Methi. There are many different versions available on various websites. This is how I prepared mine today..

  • Heat a small amount of mustard oil in a cast iron skillet
  • peel and cubed 3 small potaotes
  • add the potatoes to the hot oil and cook until browned and tender
  • added a sprinkle of ground red chili pepper
  • added generous pinches of asafoetida
  • added a nice handful of fenugreek leaves
  • cooked until the leaves wilted and everything was well incorporated
  • seasoned with salt to taste
Simple deliciousness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment