Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Growing Fenugreek/Methi Seeds

Gardening has never really been about my personal need for food. In Ohio, during gardening season, fresh produce has always been widely available and affordable. My food supply has never  been compromised and for this I am very thankful. Rather gardening has always been more about digging in the dirt, feeling the sunshine, and watching new life begin.


My adventures in gardening have included growing unique items such as quinoa and sesame seeds. This year I am expanding my visions to a few unusual items as well. Today I bring Fenugreek to your attention.
On a whim, which is the best way to live, I threw a few of my Methi Seeds into some water. Unsure if the seeds would sprout because they were roasted and I had read roasted seeds do not sprout. In the beginning this was more out of curiosity. The experiment proved to be a success and quickly there were tiny white tails emerging from the dish of water and seeds.  Sprout they did!
With a tin foil loaf pan and a few cups of potting soil, the experiment continued. I filled the foil pan with potting soil, dumped the sprouted seeds along with the water onto the soil. After spinkling with about an inch more soil I sat the pan in my window sill and went about life. Within a few days I was rewarded with new, green, little sprouts!
I store my seeds in a clear jar

This is how the seeds arrive via mail


Experience has taught me never to count on things we believe to be a sure thing. With fingers crossed, kisses to heaven and lots of hope, the plan is to be harvesting tender little Fenugreek leaves, Leaves to cook with, dry and enjoy for the next few months. As of now, I only have the beginnings of something. Something new, exciting and promising. I'll keep you updated. For now, here's what's growing!

How I use Methi Seeds in my cooking...


  • Nice hot cast iron skillet
  • Add a little ghee or oil
  • Toss in 1 tablespoon of Methi Seeds (remember I cook for one so you might want to increase, in fact you can adjust everything in portions to suit your needs)
  • Toss in 1 tablespoon of Cumin Seeds
  • Toss in 1 tablespoon of Mustard Seeds
  • Cook for a few minutes until aromatic
  • Add one large sliced onion and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes until tender and translucent adding a small amount of water if needed
  • Add two diced tomatoes and cook until a nice thick paste, the time will vary depending on how juicy your tomatoes are in the beginning. If you have tomato paste on hand you can add a dollop just to make this a little richer.
  • Grate 1 garlic clove and a tiny piece of fresh ginger into the mix
  • Cook to incorporate all of the deliciousness
  • Add 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala
  • Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt ( taste and see if you would like more salt)
  • Add a few pinches of Turmeric or up to 1/2 teaspoon
  • Stir and cook a little while to create this delicious base for your vegetables
  • Now... I will chuck in carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes or a combination of all or just one. It's cooking on the fly with what I have on hand.
  • Add about 2 cups of water to cook the vegies
  • After the vegetables are tender, add a handful or two or three of fresh baby spinach leaves cooking until tender.
  • Finish with a little heavy cream and you have the best, most delicious dinner. 
I order my Fenugreek seeds online but if you have an Indian Grocery Store near you by all means shop in person. The other spices mentioned are readily available online or in a local grocery store. 

Soon I will have tender green Fenugreek leaves to add to my cooking repotoire.

Life goals...grow fresh Curry Leaves and Cumin.....


On another note. I solely container garden these days. To date, I have onions. peas and lettuce sprouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment