Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Homemade Candied Lemon Peel

The random hodgepodge items that I decided to crank out of the kitchen over the holiday weekend were inadvertently very egg related. I didn't notice the egg theme of the recipes until the pile of egg shells started to accumulate. The hodgepodge is reference to the lack of structuring this year, unlike my typical holiday menu. I shunned the notion of ham and scalloped potatoes and the usual "fixins". I had a cooking partner this weekend and wanted to tackle a few projects that were out of the ordinary. Photos only this time around. Candied Lemon Peel recipe at the bottom of the page.


Lemon Meringue Pie
Eggs shell piles start growing!

Brioche

Egg Pile number 2




Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
You get the idea...the egg shells are really racking up now!



As part of the holiday breakfast I made the Blueberry Coffeecake with Lemon Struesel again with a small twist. I actually made my own Candied Lemon Peel.This was an easy process and well worth the effort. The fresh lemon taste was bright and the texture of the homemade candied peel was less gummy.
This is how I did it.

Homemade Candied Lemon Peel
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of water
1/2 cup lemon peel only (scrap well)
Boil the water and sugar. Add the peels. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain and then roll the peels in sugar.

Well, there was also the Lasagna with Homemade Noodles and Homemade Sauce. I haven't arrived in the cheese making process yet.

I hope everyone had a great holiday. Jewish, Christian or just Bunny Lovers... wish you a Happy Spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment