Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The future of farming.

"If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."  Thomas Jefferson

Over the holidays, it seemed to me as if there were an unusually large number of food recalls. In an effort to reduce the recalls the government has a plan. My ears have heard stories of tougher regulations to be placed on farmers.  Regulations that are set forth by government agencies.

Sometimes it takes me awhile to wrap my brain around current events and form  an opinion.

On this subject matter, I am more concerned about government sticking it's nose deeper into my world, than I am the possibility of getting bad food.

(now watch me end up with some crazy food born illness just cause I had to go and open my mouth)

I trust my local farmers markets. Our vegetables, and some fruits, are grown right here, outside our back door. The local markets, who grow right outside their back doors, offer a nice alternative to anyone who doesn't garden. This works fine. Do I want some agency strolling in and messing with it? No, I do not.

Please people, Shop Locally, Buy your goods from the small independent market places.
Now, here in Northeast Ohio, we do not have pineapple farmers. For this, I trust the market.
I would still rather take my chances with the food, than allowing some huge government document micro manage everything.

What has sparked this rant? Time spent in Williamsburg,Va. ignited me. It took me to a place of patriotism. Listening to Thomas Jefferson speak ( as portrayed by Bill Barker) made me thankful for these noble farmers of the past. This in turn, renews my passion to support the small, local people and their rights to farm.

Bill Barker and his tremendous gift of portraying Thomas Jefferson inspired me!
This inspiration is not one of politics neccessarily. I am inspired to protect our food sources and appreciate the farmer who lives next door.

Oh, how great it would be if you could be inspired as well! Too bad I don't have video of Bill Barkers performance to post for you.

My photo of Bill Barker as President Thomas Jefferson.

Just go out tomorrow and buy some fresh produce from a local farmer and my job here will be done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment