Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunflower Breakfast Scones



Sunflower Breakfast Scones

A produce stand was having a going out of business sale over the weekend and I landed 4 lbs. of sunflower seeds for $1.00.


Four 1 lb. bags of sunflower seeds for $1.00. Bargain!!

I have never made scones. The point was to find a new use for the Sunflower seeds. I went straight to a sunflower website in hopes of finding a good recipe.
These are very interesting with nutmeg, mandarin oranges, and sunflower seeds. Actually, until tonight, I've never eaten a scone.
I think these were good. I'm not an official scone taste tester though! Try this recipe for Sunflower Breakfast Scones.




I love how beautiful my sunflowers were a few years ago. I grow them for their beauty and for the birds to snack on over the winter months. *Look*


I hope to find more unique recipes for my sunflower seed booty. If you have one that you think highly of, please share it with me!

Dinner plate in the photo is a vintage Crooksville China Company plate. The Carnation Delight pattern. I believe it is early 1930's. My love for pottery, and china lead me to buy this. Pink, isn't it lovely?

 Sunflower Breakfast Scones


2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Grated rind of 1 orange or lemon (optional)
5 tablespoons cold butter
1/3 cup toasted sunflower kernels
1 can (11 ounce) mandarin oranges, well-drained
1/2 cup milk

Preheat over to 425 degrees and begin to drain the mandarin oranges. Set the oranges aside. In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and orange rind. Mix well with a wire whisk. Slice cold butter into about 10 pieces and cut into flour with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the sunflower kernels. Add the mandarin oranges and the milk to the dry ingredients.

Working quickly, stir your mixture lightly to form a rough dough ball. Dough will seem dry but will moisten as you knead the dough. Knead quickly and gently about 10 turns. Divide dough in half. Pat out each piece into a 6-inch circle and place onto an ungreased baking sheet. Using a knife, cut each circle, making each circle of dough into 6 wedges and separate slightly.

Beat 1 egg white with cold water. Brush each wedge with the egg white wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown on top and bottom. For a tender inside, do not overbake. Place on wire rack to cool. Separate wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment