Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Carrot Slaw

Eat this because it tastes scrumptious. Eat this because it's so good for you. It's okay by me if you want to critique my food photography. Really, I don't mind. I cook the food, eat the food, and write about the food. Photographing the food perfectly would be a time luxury that seems like a waste of time. So, don't let my amateur photography turn you away from trying this slaw.
           Now, here's my story associated with a version of this dish.

Mister and I were dining via Cargo Van one day. We hit a drive thru. I searched the menu. The healthiest thing on the menu was a carrot slaw. Skeptical, I didn't order it.
When we approached the drive-thru window, I asked the manager " Can you describe the Carrot slaw for me?" The manager said, "Oh, you will love it, it's carrots, raisins, pineapples with a brown sugar dressing." Then to my surprise, he gave me a free cup of the slaw to try.
I must admit to feeling a little guilty about recreating it at home after being giving a free one to try.
I think my rendition is pretty darn close, and ever so feel good.

Carrot Slaw

4 cups of properly shredded carrots (the shred is crucial, see note)
1/4 cup chopped raisins
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries (rehydrated prior to chopping)
1/2 cup chopped pineapple tidbits
Juice from one lemon
2 tablespoons of brown sugar

Note...The carrots should be finely shredded. I used my hand-held box grater, the small holes. If a large shred is used, the slaw will not be juicy enough and the taste will be thrown off.

Combine the brown sugar and lemon juice until the sugar is pretty much dissolved. Mix remaining ingredients together, and toss with the brown sugar dressing. Chill this for a few hours.

I enjoy this slaw solo. I would imagine it would be delicious as a side dish with beef.



No comments:

Post a Comment