Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Refreshing Cold Beverage and Tiramisu

 Vietnamese Iced Coffee

 



#1 Use 3 tablespoons of ground coffee and one cup of water per serving. At this point, I washed 20 small chocolate mint leaves and added them to the coffee filter prior to brewing. 

 




#2  Sweetened condensed milk is added to the bottom of your glass. Most of what I have read suggested 2 tablespoons. I actually added more to mine because I have a sweet tooth. I used fat free sweetened condensed milk. Fat free isn't required but hey why not!

#3 Ice on top of milk. Coffee on top of ice. One cup of coffee to be precise.

I found the perfect use for my Chocolate Mint. It is a tasty addition to Ca phe sua da. Translation is, iced coffee with milk, or Vietnamese Coffee. I've never claimed to be the most cultured person. In fact, I'm rather set in my ways. Iced coffee, hot coffee, cappucino, but Vietnamese coffee?? This is new to me. Oooo this was a daring new experience for this ole' girl.
First of all I refer to this as "Vietnamese Style Coffee" because I do not own a phin. A phin is the special filter used to brew one cup of coffee at a time. I had considered waiting to do this post on Vietnamese coffee until after I purchased this special filter. A  phin is a metal brewing instrument that sits directly on top of your cup. Then... I said, "Nah, I can make- do with my coffee maker and following the measurements".





Tiramisu


24 Lady Fingers
4 large eggs yolks
6 Tablespoons of sugar
3/4 lb. mascarpone cheese
2 egg whites, beaten in a medium size bowl
                       until stiff peaks form
1 cup cold strong coffee cooled
2 Tablespoons of vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Beat the egg yolks with sugar until thick and pale in color. Fold the mascarpone cheese into eggs until smooth, then fold the beaten stiff egg whites thoroughly into the mascarpone mixture.

In a medium size bowl combine the coffee and vanilla. Dip the lady fingers quickly into this mixture, one at a time. Place a layer of dipped fingers into a 6x6 dish. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture evenly over the lady fingers and sprinkle with cocoa powder.

Dip remaining lady fingers into coffee and continue with another layer of cheese mixture.Top with remaining cocoa powder.

Chill for at least 4 hours.

I like this best when frozen!!

Tips

  • Make sure the eggs and sugar are beat very thick and pale.
  • Refrigerate well.

No comments:

Post a Comment