Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Molasses Cookies

There's an echo in the air now that Autumn has arrived. In my part of this world there's a large population of Amish people. In fact, a good portion of the community around me is comprised of Amish. My temporary abode sits at the intersection of a very busy road yet still the Amish brave the fast moving traffic in their traditional horse and buggy mode of transportation. I can hear the clicking of the horse hooves echo across the expanse of my front porch. There's something nostalgic about listening to the horses trot past on a chilly October morning.

It's chilly now in Ohio. The kind of weather that begs for warm loving scents to roll out of my kitchen. Today is Molasses cookie day. I love Joe Froggers and my Chocolate Orange Gingerbread Cookies both of which can be found here on the blog. The recipe today is for straight forward, pure flavor of Molasses Cookies. Bake them! You'll be rewarded with a kitchen that smells of Autumn.

The cookies are crisp around the edges and deliciously dense and chewy in the middle. The butter is really pronounced in flavor so use a good quality unsalted butter. Not all butter is the same. A cheaper butter with a higher water content will not produce a high quality product. Shop wisely.

Today I strayed away from my usual go to of Maida Heatter and her fabulous cookie recipes. This recipe is a Martha Stewart creation. I have merely duplicated the fine folks over there and will sing it's praises for this delicious little morsel. I did have almost an entire 1/4 of sugar leftover from the rolling process. I just sat this aside and will use it in my tea later. You might want to reduce the amount to avoid waste. These cookies are very easy to make and bake.




Molasses Cookies 

2 cups of all purpose flour (important to spoon the flour into your cup and then level off)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. of nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup of sugar (again I didn't need the entire 1/2 cup for rolling the cookies)
3/4 cup of unsalted butter
1/4 cup of molasses
1 egg

Preheat your over to 350 degrees. This recipe will make about 36 cookies, if you're not like me and eat the raw batter.
Whisk together in a bowl the flour, cinnamon, soda, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
Place 1/2 sugar in a bowl and set aside for rolling the cookies.
In a separate bowl beat the butter for a minute to lighten it up, add the 1 cup of sugar and mix until light. Beat in the egg and then the molasses. This is a quick process and you just need to mix until everything is well combined.
Lower your mixer speed to low and add your dry ingredients. Just mix until everything is mixed together. Don't over mix.
Using your hands make small walnut sized balls and roll them in the sugar you have set aside.
Place the cookies on sheet pan at around 2 inches apart.
Bake just until firm and avoid over baking. Cool for one minute on the pan before trying to move to a wire rack to cool!


I'm attaching the echoes of hoof beats and the smell of crisp chilly air to this post. I hope you find a warm, heart glowing moment for yourself.

Until another time. May love surround your heart and mind.












No comments:

Post a Comment